I was getting the error in my server farm for search.

1. I had deleted the search service application and created multiple times.
  2. Checked on the service application admin and query account and application pool settings. everything looked good all the times but search application.
  3. Ran the configuration wizard
  4. restart the server.
  5. also on the powershell the initialized was true for the search admin component : Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication | Get-SPEnterpriseSearchAdministrationComponent
  6. Disconnect/Connect the server farm and central admin

In all of the above attempts nothing worked for me except the provision of search through the STSADM command below:

stsadm -o provisionservice -action start -servicename osearch14 -servicetype "Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchService, Microsoft.Office.Server.Search, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c"

Advertisements

15 Comments on “Search service is not able to connect to the machine that hosts the administration component”

1. David Bajak (@davidbajak) October 2, 2011 at 4:03 am #

Blasting-out the old search service application and creating a new one worked for me to resolve the ‘connect to administration component’ error. I think the key to getting this procedure to work may reside in creating seperate but new application pools rather than the cached. I’ve written a how-to for this procedure and it has been a golden ticket so far.

2. juggle12@gmail.com January 28, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

this stsadm command worked for my production environment, whereas building the service through the GUI did not. Thanks!

3. Abdul February 15, 2012 at 10:36 am #

You are Genius Man!!! It save a lot of time of mine…Many suggested as Recreate Search Service Application, Farm Rebuild, Run Config Wizard…your one command ruled out all other options…owe a bear to you 🙂

4. Carl April 3, 2012 at 6:07 pm #

Awesome! That worked for me and saved me heaps of time!

5. scott April 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm #

none of this helped me. I ran this on the app server hosing central admin. Am I doing somethign wrong or is there an fix to try?

• Lubna June 14, 2012 at 2:25 am #

you have to check Application Server Administration Service Timer Job

Application Server Timer Job

are both run and not diabled

6. Jesse April 16, 2012 at 6:18 pm #

Man, you rock, this worked for me, i thought I would have to start from scratch on my production environment. Thank you so much!!

7. Frode Eriksen May 5, 2012 at 8:39 pm #

THANK YOU!!! Not sure what it was doing your command, but this is the first of more than 12 websites that actually solved my problem. You are now one of my heroes of the week. Tysm!

8. Steve Lloyd June 6, 2012 at 11:43 am #

Thank you so much! Been battling with this all morning.

9. Anil Kumar Kuchi July 24, 2012 at 11:08 am #

Dude you are awesome..That worked like a charm…Thank you…

10. Roy Cooke August 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm #

I’ve spent ages trying to get this to work.

11. tbithell August 27, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Thank you so much for posting this.

12. Anton August 28, 2012 at 11:08 am #

MANY THANKS! After i tried umpteen “solutions” from different websites this resolve my problem. I don´t know what the command does, but it works!
    You are my hero!

13. Chris Jacob November 3, 2013 at 12:17 am #

THANKS A TON!

14. sunil July 25, 2014 at 2:26 pm #

Hey that worked for me Thanks for your help